Dippin'

The night before I had to fly out to Kansas City for my Mom's funeral, I had a spouse's social to host.  We were having a pool party/game night at the clubhouse and pool here in the subdivision where I live.  As I was planning the event, I decided that dips would be perfect for the refreshments since we'd be taking a "dip" in the pool :)

I decided on 2 savory dips and 2 sweet dips so there'd be something for everyone.  I even invented a new dip recipe for the occasion!  (Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the dips or the serving table.  I guess I was just so busy and so focused on getting out of town that I totally spaced off taking any pictures---and I even had my camera with me!  Hopefully, you can give me a pass on this one since I was headed to my Mom's funeral :)

I did, however, get a picture of the Teddy Bear pool cake that Tiffany Smith made and brought to share with all of us.
Isn't that cute?? I didn't get to taste it because it wasn't gluten-free, but it looked fabulous. And, it would be so easy to make it GF.  Just take your favorite GF cake and bake it in a 13 X 9 pan.  Once it has cooled, hollow out the center, making sure to leave a solid bottom.  Make up a small box of blue Jello and pour it in the center and put in the fridge to set.  Once it's all set, use whipped cream to make the "edge of the pool" frosting.  Then, you can add the finishing touches.  It really was a fun addition to our pool party!

So, on to the dip recipes:

First, I made a basic French Onion dip and I'm embarrassed to say that I just used the box.  I know, I know, I know...not healthy at all and filled with chemicals.  I get it, but I was in a real rush and, let's be honest here, the stuff out of the box that you mix with sour cream really does taste good! 

Then, I made up a batch of dill dip.  This is my "go-to" dip!  I use this for everything. 

Dill Dip Recipe

1/3 c. mayonnaise
2/3 c. sour cream
2 T. dried dill
2 tsp. celery salt
2 tsp. dried garlic (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and sour cream.  Add dry seasonings and mix well.  Store, covered, in the refrigerator at least 6 hours, or overnight, before serving.  Just before serving, taste and adjust, if necessary.  Makes 1 cup.

For the dippers with the savory dips, I had a big veggie tray, some GF Glutino's pretzels, and potato chips. 

Then, I started thinking about the sweet dips and what I wanted to be our "dessert."  My first thought was to make Lemon Curd.  Fruit curds were traditionally served in England during afternoon tea as a substitute for jams and jellies.  They were made in small amounts as they did not keep well.  I fell in love with lemon curd several years ago and use it for all kinds of things!  You can also make lime or orange curd simply by changing the juice that you use.

Lemon Curd Recipe

6 T. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
2/3 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Beat butter and sugar on high for 2 minutes.  Slowly add eggs and yolks and beat for 1 more minute.  Add lemon juice and beat; mixture may look curdled, but it will smooth out as it heats.  Cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until it looks smooth.  Increase heat to medium and cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 12-15 minutes.  DO NOT BOIL!!  Remove from heat.  Pour into bowl and chill completely before serving.  Makes about 1 cup.

I knew that some people wouldn't think that a sweet and sour dip was "desserty" enough, so I set about creating an ooey, gooey dip to be the big finale!  And, oh boy, did it turn out great!!  I had women telling me that they'd come to any possible function if they could only have that dip!!  Everyone just wanted to take a spoon and dive in headfirst :)  I've invented a new food group and here's the recipe:

Heath Bar Dip Recipe

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. chocolate chips, melted, then slightly cooled
1/3 c. caramel syrup

Place these 3 ingredients in a mixer and blend till smooth and creamy.

Then, stir in 4 oz (1/2 of an 8 oz tube) of Cool Whip.  Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup of Heath Bar bits.  Stir well. Refrigerate.  Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

When I tasted this dip, I had tons of ideas flood through my head on how it could be used in so many different ways!  I think it would be absolutely fabulous as the filling for a frozen summer pie!!  Make a comment and let me know how you'd like to use it :)

As the dippers for the sweet dips, I had a large fruit tray, marshmallows, GF shortbread cookies (Schar brand), and pecan halves. 

Happy dippin'!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jammin'

Foodgasm!!

Whole 30/Caveman Cleanse