Oatmeal Chip Cake



I have lost about 40 pounds in the last 10 months, which I realize is a very strange way to begin this post, especially under the picture of a cake and whipped cream!!  But, I do have a point :)  The way that I have lost this weight has been by eliminating most of the sugar from my diet and by cutting my portions down by at least 1/2, if not more.  So, in order to stick with my new healthy lifestyle, I've been on a journey of learning how to make dishes small!

My biggest challenge has been with desserts.  I LOVE desserts, but they don't love me!  And not just because of the weight issue...I suffer when I eat sugar, although in varying degrees, but I do suffer---headaches, pain, lethargy, nausea, indigestion, congestion, brain fog...I've been able to trace all of these to levels of sugar consumption.  Of course, the auto-immune issues cause all of these symptoms, but mine are greatly ameliorated if I limit my sugar intake.  So, I've had to bite the bullet and stop eating them...mostly.  When I do choose to indulge, I've had to learn to make only 2 ramekins--1 for me and 1 for my husband, with no leftovers.  So, this recipe will make just 2 ramekins.  If you want a pie pan size, then double the ingredients.  If you want a full cake size, then quadruple the ingredients.  

I read a recipe for a "Cold Weather Cake" in an old newspaper clipping and was intrigued, so I decided I'd make a few changes (as I always do) and give it a shot.  This recipe is what I came up with and it turned out great!!  Warm and gooey...perfect for a cold winter's night :)

You'll start out making an oatmeal mix.  This will have to set for 15-20 minutes.





While your oatmeal is setting, you'll make a mix of all the other ingredients.




Then, you'll mix those two together with a spoon--no mixer needed for this recipe!




Then, the mix will go into the two ramekins to be ready to bake!  It's a really simple recipe, but it doesn't taste simple when it's finished.


So, here's the recipe:

Oatmeal Chip Cake

Place 1/4 cup Gluten-free quick oats (I like Bob's Red Mill brand) in a bowl with 4 T. butter.  Pour 1/3 cup boiling water over; cover and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes.

In a larger bowl, place the following ingredients and stir to mix with a spoon:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. Gluten-free Bob's Red Mill baking mix
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
Dash of nutmeg and salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
A large handful each of chopped pecans and mini chocolate chips (I couldn't decide exactly how to measure this, so I went with the handful.  You can add these to taste).
1 egg

After 15-20 minutes, stir the oatmeal mixture and then, add to the other mix.  Stir till combined.  Place in two prepared ramekins. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-38 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for a couple of minutes before serving.



I served it with a chocolate whipped cream on the side since it was still warm.  It would also be excellent with regular whipped cream, or ice cream, or a little drizzle frosting...whatever you can imagine!  My husband ate his with a large glass of ice cold milk, which is his preferred way to eat any dessert!  It would also be excellent with a hot cup of peppermint tea, which would make a wonderfully complete winter's treat...keep warm!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jammin'

Foodgasm!!

Whole 30/Caveman Cleanse